Current Career Opportunities
Jewish Community Center of Greater Baltimore
DATE: December 19, 2019
JOB TITLE: JCC Director of Inclusion and Ability
REPORTS TO: Senior Director of Outreach and Inclusion
The Director of Inclusion and Ability works under the direct supervision of the Senior Director of Outreach and Inclusion to lead the agency’s efforts in creating a culture of welcoming and inclusion at the JCC for people of all abilities. This person will work closely with departmental leadership to increase accessibility of JCC programs, events, and facilities. The Director of Inclusion and Ability will plan, implement, oversee and evaluate new and continuing Inclusion and Ability Department programs, including J Kids and J Camps Inclusion, KLAL, adult social events, and the Baltimore Jewish Abilities Alliance (BJAA).
- Master’s degree in social work, education or related field preferred, or commensurate experience in the disability services field
- Dedication and commitment to the belief that everyone, regardless of ability, has the right to be included in everything that the JCC and Baltimore Jewish Community has to offer
- Training and certification in crisis de-escalation and intervention (CPI, PCM, or similar)
- Strong Leadership skills
- Ability to supervise staff
- Ability to work with lay leadership and volunteers
- Ability to work both collaboratively and independently and multitask under deadline
- Excellent customer service and interpersonal skills
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Knowledge of current policy, legislation and best practices in inclusion and disability services
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Design and oversee the implementation of innovative, inclusive programs that are available to all members of the JCC, including those with and without disabilities.
- Cultivate and expand relationships with Associated partner agencies and external partners to expand the breadth of engagement opportunities for individuals with disabilities.
- Cooperate closely with JCC departments to offer support in providing accommodations for program participants with various needs, as well as to collaborate on joint programming, staff training and other initiatives.
- Hire and supervise inclusion support staff for children requiring additional support to participate in JCC program offerings.
- Assess JCC programs and facilities to determine tactics for increasing agency-wide inclusion and accessibility.
- Direct, and enhance current departmental programs, including J Kids Inclusion, J Camps Inclusion (shared with the J Camps Inclusion Director), adult social programs, and KLAL, to be shared with the Inclusion and Ability Program Coordinator.
- Interact and communicate closely with lay leaders.
- Develop and implement innovative and educational experiences to celebrate Jewish Disability Awareness and Inclusion Month.
- Provide professional development opportunities for JCC staff, volunteers, lay leaders, and community members on best practices of inclusion and creating an inclusive and welcoming community
- Represent the JCC as a part of the Associated’s Disability Community of Practice (CoP).
- Oversee BJAA website maintenance and enhancement, to be shared with the Inclusion and Ability Program Coordinator and reintroduce BJAA informational programs and workshops.
- Consult and collaborate with the JCC Marketing department with the goal of increasing accessibility of information and communicating the JCC’s dedication to inclusion and accessibility to the public.
- Research and apply for new grant and funding opportunities.
- Develop and monitor department budget.
The work environment is usually fast paced. This job requires high energy and interaction with staff as well as with members, other agency staff, community leaders, and outside partners. In addition, the Director of Inclusion and Ability must establish and maintain professional relationships with participants who exhibit a wide range of abilities and their caregivers. Must be available and on-site during the 10 weeks of summer J Camps.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to use hands to finger, handle, or feel objects, tools, or controls and talk or hear. The employee is frequently required to sit and reach with hands and arms. The employee is required to have enough mobility essential to assisting others with less mobility. The employee must be physically able to react safely and appropriately if participant’s behaviors warrant physical action such as running or restraining. The employee may be asked to assist with transferring participants from wheelchairs.
The employee must occasionally lift and/or move up to 25 pounds.
This job description is not intended to be all-inclusive, and incumbent will also perform other reasonably related business duties as assigned by supervisor or other management as required. The JCC reserves the right to revise or change job duties as the needs arise. This job description does not constitute a written or implied contract of employment.