Health Services

Developmental interventions, or “health services,” are provided to families who have a child or children that have a developmental delay. Medical treatment is recommended according to individual need and should not differ from common approaches to providing medical care. To get special therapy related services, the state will use an Individualized Education Program (IEP). These services will mainly occur in school but can also take place in the home or community.

There are generally three types of therapies provided to children who qualify through the school system:  occupational therapy, physical therapy and speech therapy.

  • Occupational therapy deals with strengthening fine-motor skills like writing, cutting, shoe-tying and using utensils.
  • Physical therapy focuses on gross motor skills like walking, kicking, jumping and climbing stairs.
  • Speech therapy focuses on receptive language, or the ability to understand words spoken to you, and expressive language, or the ability to use words to express yourself. 

Finding the right doctor, dentist or home care services can be challenging for a child with a disability. The Department of Mental Health and Hygiene recently launched a resource database for children and youth with special health care needs to help parents find the resources that they need. This online database contains over 800 resources for Maryland families, is user friendly and 508 compliant for those with visual impairments. 


Refer to the Quick Links to see the full website

Quick Links
What is Occupational Therapy?>>
What is Physical Therapy?>>
Resource Locator for Children and Youth with Special Health Care Needs>>